Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2003 bmw e46 m3, when i pull away my car loses power/

I have a 2003 bmw e46 m3, when i pull away my car loses power/ judders and the Indicator lamp for Automatic Stability Control plus Traction (ASC+T)/Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and brake warning light comes on. what is wrong?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Does the warning light stay on, or only flash while the juddering is occuring?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The light only flashes when the juddering occurs, but the longer I drive for the worse it becomes. The car is only really drivable when I disengage the (ASC+T)/Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) by pushing the button located by the cigarette lighter, the light is on constantly after I do this.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
so is the judder just the traction control / abs cutting in? or is the judder different?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It only happens when the light shows and I think it is the traction control/ abs cutting in but not being an expert I cant be 100% positive. I also have a problem with the rest of the warning lights coming on periodically (Tyre pressure etc) even though there clearly aren't any issues i.e. no bulbs out despite what the warning lights say. Is this related to the juddering issue, when I upgraded the car stereo the installer noticed an after market blue tooth kit had been badly fitted by the previous owner. Could this have caused an intermittent electrical fault and would that be the cause of not only the warning lights but the juddering also?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

what you have described suggests that the abs/traction control system is cutting in when it should not be

this can be caused by a wheel/tyre issue, a failure of one of the sensors in the abs/traction control system, or a failure of the abs/traction control module itself

to verify you will want to have real time diagnostics carried out which can monitor all inputs and outputs from the system to verify what is triggering the erroneous abs/traction control intervention

it is unlikely that a poor bluetooth install is related to the abs/traction control system cutting in when it should not. It could possibly be related to other random warnings, but there are many othings things which could also cause random errors.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much on average would it cost roughly to fix the potential

"wheel/tyre issue, a failure of one of the sensors in the abs/traction control system, or a failure of the abs/traction control module itself"

issues to get the car driving normally again? Also what would be the rough cost to get the warning lights issue resolved?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

unfortunately this is impossible to say with any certainty until the actual underlying cause is determine.

and abs/traction issue could run from £250 (sensor) to over £1000 (module or pump)

the warning lights could be a simple loose connection somewhere (£100) to again over £1000 if significant diagnostic time is needed and/or another module is found to be the culprit