Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Opened the bonnet to fill up the screenwash on my 1 series

Opened the bonnet to fill up the screenwash on my 1 series 116i sport. The bonnet now wont fully close properly. It closes to the first latch, but wont fully close if that makes sense.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

This isnt at all uncommon for these to do that..normally it either a case of the catch not releasing the bonnet whilst the handle is pulled or the later in your case not closing or locking down at all - normally the fault will be with the catch mechanisim itself

in which to rectify would require a new mechanism to be fitted in place and that should solve the issue or both if that the case - I note you do say you have tried the wd-40 trick - sometimes that can work if mechansism is seized..have you tried actuating the release handle whilst somebody sprays the wd-40 into the catch..see if you can lock the catch manaully with the bonnet open with screwdriver to see if it still locks that way..if so then relase to catch again and then try closing the bonnet by firmly pushing down on the centre of the bonnet - if that still fails to work provided the catch on the bonnet itself isnt damaged or bent for any reason then the catch assembly will be likely at fault..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate