Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello, can someone please help as it is driving me ! I

Customer Question

Hello, can someone please help as it is driving me nuts! I had a sucking squealing noise coming from my car, initially thought it was brakes as the had just been replaced but after a lot of testing it turned out to be a breather pipe! Anyway the one I can't find is a kind of chirping noise once the engine is up to temperature when driving. The noise is not there when the car is parked up, engine on and reved up! Please , please help, thank you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
the noise only exists when the vehicle is in motion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Wher on the car is it coming from? Does it change if you are turning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Steve, no noise at all until 5 minutes then a weird rattle/chirping noise. The sound level stays the same no matter how fast I drive

The sound seems to come from the engine bay

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise as the previous answering expert has opted out of this question it appears. Sorry he didn't let you know at all.

With this - as you can likely appreciate , noises per se , can be difficult for us to determine as we just cannot hear them -and have to go off description only. That said, this sort of noise is not unknown and is often found to be with one of the belts on the engine or, one of the components that the belt drives... So a very careful inspection of the ribbed belts on the front of the engine needs to be carried out- removed to to check too the pulleys that they drive - with the belts off - manually spin the pulleys to see if there is any noise - there should be none, they should spin silently, with no noise and no side to side play - If any as such is present, the component would need to be changed.

Check the belts for excessive cranking - if that is found, then replace as that can cause this as it affects the tension - which causes the noises -

So you need to check as above now - if you find the fault that way - thats great... If not.. then the next step is to look to checking the pipework to the turbo etc - that is another not so common cause - and work forward like that .

But do do a thorough check on the belts / pulleys as above as the most likely.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.