Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

The main dealer has said that the E box was full of water and

The main dealer has said that the E box was full of water and the control unit has suffered water damage and needs to be replaced and I am looking at a hefty repair bill. The repairs are going to cost about £1850 and I cannot see that I have done anything to cause this. I have been asked if I have driven through deep water but I have not. They have then said that tape had been unwound from the loom but I have never opened the bonnet. Only the main dealers and another garage have serviced the car. I recently had an MOT at the other garage and an oil change and the RAC came out when the car would not start and all this unfolded. I have a warranty but this excludes damage by water. The main dealers say rainwater damage but I cannot understand this. Have you come across this and any ideas please.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a weekend. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this does happen from time to time, you are not the first person to have a water damaged computer - it can happen from rainwater build up or driving through deep water on the road

typically debris can block the drains and channels for the rain water and it is allowed to build up and get the computer wet - you dont have to have done anything to cause it, it can just happen due to debris over time

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response and for answering on the weekend. Following on from your email, I would be grateful if you could also respond to the following:
- How are owners to know if and how to clean drains and channels?
- Should these be checked on a service or advice given about this?
- What about the tape on the looms which the dealer had said had been undone and who might have done that and would that have caused the problem?
- If the tape had remained in place would there have still been a problem or would the damage have been les likely?
- If drains and channels can get blocked then is not this a design fault?
- Are you aware of this issue on any other makes of car?
Surely there should be some warnings to owners to check this.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

here are your additinal answers, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating so that I receive proper credit for my time and multiple answers.

you would have to ask around / read online or otherwise think of this on your own. it is not in the owners manual. In most cases it never becomes an issue, but it can and does in certain cases, and it can depend a lot on where you live and park relative to trees or other things that can cause debris

this is usually not given and I'm sorry but you can't fault anyone for having not given you this advice.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to this, I have no way of knowing how this could have been undone or why. It could contributed to the issue, though.

less likely but you could have still run into an issue since this wouldnt be 100% water PROOF regardless

no, it is not.

I only deal with BMW, so I cannot comment on other makes/models

Again, there usually are not and most of the time it is never an issue, but you are not the only person to ever encounter this.