Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

i put engine oil by mistake in atf oil part. can this be a

i put engine oil by mistake in atf oil part. can this be a problem
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What BMW Series / year / engine do you have?

How much has been put in roughly?

Which area did you fill it by mistake exactly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is a 318i, 06 plate. i put in about half a tea cup. i put it in the bit that said aft oil only. it was dark and the oil light was showing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry robert but did you get my inital reply?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..Yes i got your reply..just attending to another customer there..sorry about that..

Ok..all the fill caps are generally on the drivers side of the engine bay on the E90 318 washers / coolant / power steering / oil - Im asuming seeing as this reservior is fairly close and - If it was that small bottle with the "round cap" the lowest down one i recall that having printed on it atf only..then that will be your power steering system - if thats the case then to solve that as long as you havent started the car - take or remove the reservior off and pour it out - or use a waste oil suction device to get the oil out " dispose of the waste oil properly" then then fit it back on and refill with the proper power steering fluid again - if thats something you cant carry out yourself..then any reputable mobile mechanic will be able to - The oil fill location these is the "square oil cap" front corner of the cam cover...ensure you do have the car on a level surface on a cold engine check the level and top up if required..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but i did drive the car.how damage can that cause?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

If its in the PS bottle as i highlighted above " that round cap with the ridges on it" . then its should be fine,i doubt it would of done much damage to be honest...what i would say is certainly instruct a good well equiped garage to flush the power steering system out as best they can - this may take few times to do that by draining and refilling then draining again and then refill again with the correct power steering fluid spec and you should be fine after that...I do hope this helps further...

Robert, BMW Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK