Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I've just bought a Nov 2011 BMW X3 35D SE with 17 K on the

I've just bought a Nov 2011 BMW X3 35D SE with 17 K on the clock from a BMW dealer. Great car for many things but the ride at M-way speed is more jittery than I expected and it 'tramlines'. It's fitted with Continental run-flats on 18" wheels but I'm an experienced BMW owner - previous car was a 325 Convertible on run-flats - and haven't had this severe a problem before. Any ideas please?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What is the tyre size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They're Continental Contisport 245/50 R18 RFS Run Flats. About 5 - 6 mm tread remaining on all four.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the most common cause of what you are experiencing is simply just due to wide, low profile, runflat tyres.
many people complain of this when they move to a BMW with this type of tyre fitted
the most likely correction will involve downsizing your wheels and tyres and going to a non runflat (225 60 17)
other possible causes could be an alignment issue or wear/play in the suspension, but I do suspect it is related to the tyre size / type
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.