Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi i have 2005 e60 520d Msport with 90km. When i accelerate

Customer Question

Hi i have 2005 e60 520d Msport with 90km. When i accelerate from 2000rpm up wards i get an unusual whining noise this is also the case when coming down the box and if at idle and you juzt rev. It only occurs when the car has warmed up and is at its worst. Sounds worse in 1st and 2nd gear.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Is the noise from the engine area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hard to tell but i would say yes... as when you are driving it appears to come from bulk head area. But due to it being a deisel its hard to say. When its cold and you drive off in 1st gear and 2nd gear its fine but when warm it gets louder and louder e.g the longer the distance the louder it is? The noise appears at its worst when engine is warm and you pull away in 1st up to 3rd all above 2000rpm as if the engine is whinning and also when you come back down the box. I also noticed as you accelerate hard off a round about of junction higher up.the revs 3000rpm plus it can be a bit smokey (grey) goes awag when you change gear? And can come back?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
as I am sure you can appreciate it is very hard to diagnose a noise that one cannot hear.
I would suspect that the issue is a turbo problem or crankcase ventilation system.
it should not be hard to trace the source with a mechanics stethoscope or chassis ear.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.