Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Hi I have a BMW 320si 56 plate and I have taken the car to

Hi I have a BMW 320si 56 plate and I have taken the car to the local garage with oil consumption light coming on, yet no leaks found anywhere?
After further investigation, they say cylinder 4 has a problem and it was reading 7702 when the other cylinders were -2.2? The spark plugs were changed and injectors inspected. The garage say the cylinder is either blocked or I may need a new engine? Is this correct?
The car runs fine, no smoke from anywhere, not even the exhaust, the garage are saying the cost could be £800 if a valve needs replacing or over £2000 if a new engine is required? Is this also correct?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what type of readings are they making to read 7702 and -2.2?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These were readings tested on each cylinder? But they said they would need to conduct another test using a BMW test equipment, they said that they need to do a compression test? They said that cylinder 4 has the problem but surely the car would run badly?
The car starts and runs fine, just sounds a bit loud at slow speeds
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what are those measurements supposed to be of?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure to be honest, I thought you might know, do you think they are messing me about? The car sounded fine a couple of weeks ago and now they say it's mis firing on cylinder 4 the car has only done 55k and I don't drive fast.
I am worried I may need a new engine.
The readings were 2.2 cylinder 1 2.3 for cylinder 2 2.37 for cylinder 3 and 7.7 I think for cylinder 4 I didn't understand what the test was for and what it proved , but they said I need to bring it in again for further testing with a BMW specialist but I am concerned they don't know what they are doing
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

can you find out what the readings were measuring?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will ask them tomorrow, they want to speak to another garage who have the right test equipment. I am wondering whether to take it to a BMW dealer? What do you reckon?
I can't believe the car could need a new engine when there are no leaks, no warning lights on and the car runs smooth and starts every time. I think, yes the mis fire is maybe due to spark plugs, they showed me some ( not sure if they were mine) and generally the car is great to drive
I just want it fixed
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

I would absolutely take the car to a main dealer

the fact that the current shop has to call in a BMW specialist is a huge red flag, they clearly do not know this car or this engine, and you should not use them for anything, period.

you could have a bad cylinder with the car still running okay, but without a proper compression test or leak down test having been carried out, that is impossible to say.

I would strongly recommend you take the car to a main dealer. Pay the inflated price, but you will at least get a proper diagnostic for the cost.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert