Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

What do you think the costs could be if I do have a bad cy

What do you think the costs could be if I do have a bad cylinder?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

depends exactly what is wrong, but costs will be high if there is a vale issue or other cylinder issue requiring engine replacement.

£2000 or more isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Surely the car would run badly and it would burn oil and black smoke would come from the exhaust?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

likely yes, but not 100% necessarily. this is why proper hands on tests by a garage that knows this engine well is required.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would they then replace all the cylinders or just put a new engine in? £2000 it would make more sense to trade in for a new car surely?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

if the amount of labour required to fix the issue is more than the costs of just swapping in a used engine, then you will probably want to swap in an engine.

it probably would not make more sense to trade the car as a car with a blown engine is not worth much on trade value, so you would be paying almost the entire cost of a replacement car vs. just the cost of a replacement engine. This is something you have to decide based on costs to repair vs. replace, and your own financial situation.