Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 1998 520. and the rear drivers lock is on permanent

I have a 1998 520. and the rear drivers lock is on permanent lock (showing lock), the rear passengers door can only be opened from the inside and the front passenger door cannot be opened at all (though the locking mechanism goes from lock to unlock).
on the bright side the drivers door works!
please tell me its a simple module to replace
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this is most likely a failed general module, which requires it's replacement

although, I would check fuses to be sure none are blown as well.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please be more specific than a general module

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating, thank you

it is called the "general module" - that is the name of the module "general module". It is also called a GM3

it is located behind the glove box and controls central locking and some other body functions.

it is common to fail and cause locking errors