Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

bwm 318ci 2004 70000 miles oil smell inside car and at rea

Customer Question

bwm 318ci 2004 70000 miles oil smell inside car and at rear
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just to clarify - Has anything been replaced so far on the car or just visual inspections? what areas have they checked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing replaced just visual, They tell me all areas have been checked and there is no leaks.

They cleaned the filters etc but this only took the smell away for 2 days and it was back again

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

I gather in regards ***** ***** "filter" you mean the pollen filter - air filter wouldnt cause this unless its was heavily coated in oil and that would be issue that would need to be addressed mechanically as such or engine pcv breather issue if oils getting into the intake - the most common problem you normally see on these engines in regards ***** ***** smell "hot engine oil" entering the cabin area is due to a faulty rocker cover gasket - because the engine is normally quite set back towards to the back firewall or just under the pollen filter housing..the oil leak sometimes quite small from the rocker cover gasket leaks out/burns off onto the hot areas of the engine/exhaust manifold which in turn causes the oil smell to pass the pollen filter into the cabin via the air vents into the car..So if they havent inspected that they need to get right into the back and check for oil - if oils found then a new rocker gasket is the answer..like i say its a very common fault for these gasket to cause that..so it maybe something to consider going ahead with..but certainly make the checks there anyway..apart from that..so if they have properly inpsected the underside just incase.oil filter housing especially then as above is the way forward next..I do hope this helps...if you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate