Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have a bmw320D 2002. some few weeks ago it would stop

Hi I have a bmw320D 2002. some few weeks ago it would stop when driving along, but start directly and I could carry on. Then one morning it would start but stop directly. I left it for an hour went out and it started ok and was fine for another week. Then it did the same stert but not run. I was told to use spare key, and it was fine for another week. A few days ago it stopped while traveling. It started but would not run. After 30 minutes it started and run for 5 mins, before stopping again. I managed to get it home, but now it starts but will not run at all.
Please help
Alan Ayling
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

can you please clarify what you mean by " it starts but will not run "

if it starts, this means the engine is running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve,
The car turns over with the key, and runs sometimes for a second or two. Then continuos turns of the key no longer runs. Sometimes it runs for 3 or 4 seconds.
Hope this helps
Alan
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

These symptoms point to a faulty fuel pump. You will need to have the fuel delivery system tested and then have the failed parts replaced upon confirmation.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Steve,
Does this have to be done by a bmw dealer, as our nearest is 26 miles away?
Alan
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

it is alwasy best to have the vehicle worked on by a dealer - they know the car best

you could also use a diesel specialist or non-dealer BMW specialist, but a main dealer is your best bet