Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have a 1999 BMW 750 v12 Having a few proplems although

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1999 BMW 750 v12
Having a few proplems although the car drives well.
1: radio comes on and off could be off for a few days then back on could be off for a week.
2: the same is happening to me speedo working one min the could be off for weeks.
3: computer screen is not working just a white screen changed it got one on eBay but still the same, when switching the engine off and locking it I would open the front door and the screen would come on.
4: sent real locking and alarm stopped working.
5: sometimes when I turn on the ignition the steering wheel will find its setting other time it won't, and when starting the engine it's like a whining sound rather than a roar as if it's in another mode,
6: when it is parked up for the night I could come out in the morning and it's flat,just need to touch it with the jump leads and it turns over first time and could run fine till the next time. Any help would be appreciate thx
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The speedo issue is commonly a failed abs module or speed sensor.
The other issues could possibly be caused by a bad earth, as could a possisble failed control module, but another common cause that I would suggest as more likely would be a faulty ignition switch. These are known to fail and cause all kinds of weird electrical issues, just like you are experiencing. I would try a new ignition switch first.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve thank you for your reply.
Can you tel me where I can find the earth connection to check.
I changed the ignition switch which I bought from the Internet I don't know if I should have bought from BMW, are the ignition switches all the same or does it have to be for my vehicle.. Thx Jon
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear ***** thank you for your reply.
The last 7 digits DA63024
Regards Jon
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will review the wiring diagrams and post back shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve any word on the wiring system.

Regarding the earth for the radio.

Thx Jon