Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a defectice Xenon light unit on my BMW E93 Coupe and

I have a defectice Xenon light unit on my BMW E93 Coupe and BMW wanted £1355 to replace the whole unit. I have brought the parts myself but have been told that the ECU will need to be programmed to accept the unit. BMW say they will not do it if they did not supply and fit. HELP!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What kind of help are you seeking with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm OK with the process of removing the OS unit (bumper removal etc) and installing the new headlight unit but am at a loss to know what to do about reprogramming (I'm told this is necessary but may be this is a red herring) to make the unit work properly. If no programming is necessary then sorry to have bothered you but if so I don't have access to BMW programmes.

Can you assist with instructions or who outside the dealership network can carry out this task and at what cost.I live in Beckenham - South east London.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I cannot provide specific recommendations as to where to take the car.

if you would like general recommendations and insights into the issue, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is re programming or other BMW computer interface necessary to undertake this work to get lighting working as per specification?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what is the part number of the part you are replacing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't tell you that but it's the right hand headlight unit complete with new bulbs & ballast. The car has self levelling headlights.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the light should work fine without programming
if it does not, then your only option would be to fine a shop or another main dealer with the equipment required for programming.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am advised by BMW that the car will need to be connected to a BMW dealer interface for the self-levelling to be coordinated with the existing NS light.

I'm afraid your answer was too little too late and i am not able to give a positive rating to you or the site.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

"proper bmw procedure" requires the light be programmed

in reality it will probably work without it.

if it is off, then you have no option but to take the car to a dealer or shop that will preform this procedure for you.

as the question has been fully answered, please select a rating of OK or higher to ensure that I receive credit for my time and answer out of the deposit which you have already paid

thank you in advance.