Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2008 X3 M auto transmission with 100k on clock. Lately

Customer Question

I have a 2008 X3 M auto transmission with 100k on clock. Lately it is doing a couple of things which are obviously not right... In low gears in traffic it will 'clunk' back to 1st when you slow/take foot off gas. if accelerating at anything from 20 mph to 35 mph you get a shuddering and that is within one gear i.e. not as the engine is changing up. To a layman like me it feels scarily like a major transmission problem... Anything you can recognise as familiar - even if it is bad news.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the normal cause for this is something internal to the transmission unfortunately, which typically necessitates refurbishment or replacement of the entire transmission.

Other possibilities would be a low/degraded fuel, a software/adaptations problem, or other issune with the drive line such as a worn flex disc or problem with the transfer case.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.