Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW318i 2002. The emissions light has just come on the dashboard

BMW318i 2002. The emissions light has just come on the dashboard and the car is shuddering a bit. Any advice?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None so far, my husband is away and it was driving fine and then on the last short journey this evening the light came on and car shudders a bit when moving. ( I looked in the manual and it says the light is the emissions one)

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this light is not specific

it only means that an emissions impacting fault has been sensed by the engine management system.

the only way to find out what underlying fault has triggered this generic warning is to have the faults read from the car using a scan tool.

so, to your question, the ONLY step you can take at this time is to have the faults read out to identify the underlying cause of your warning light. there is absolutely no other way to diagnose this and no other next step that can be taken.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so do you think it is ok to drive it to my local garage - I dont want to do any permanent damage- or do I call the AA?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
If the car is shuddering badly you probbaly shouldn't drive it.
You will have to make this assessment based on how poorly it is running.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating, thanks.