Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Dear Matt i took my bmw for auto mechanic yet they said i

Customer Question

Dear Matt
i took my bmw for auto mechanic yet they said i need to book it with bmw
because they said the heating mechanism is not functioning proper so for this they advice me to go the main dealer
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

can you tell me what year and model this is please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this car is bmw 1 series diesel eninge

and is 2004 model

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Very first thing to do is ensure the coolant level is up to the mark and if low top it up with the correct antifreeze or pre-mixed coolant as stated in the owners manual
I'd then check that the engine is getting up to temperature, if its not then its likely the thermostat needs changing.
If this is OK have a feel of the two coolant pipes that pass into the car through the engine bay bulkhead, both should be warm with a warm engine. If they're not then its likely the heater matrix is blocked and you should do a reverse flush on the cooling system to try and clean it out. This is done by removing the top hose from the radiator and placing a garden hose into the engine water outlet, and then run the hose until you get clean water coming out of the radiator.
If this doesn't help this only leaves checking out the motor / cable that moves the air mixing flap that allows the hot air from the matrix to enter the car air system.

This flap is controlled by the temperature knob / dial etc and is controlled with a small motor for your car so the thing to do is first get access to the back of the control knob and measure the voltages is present there, then trace the wiring back into the dash from the control to locate the motor.

It’s worth first checking the fuses for the fan / control circuit

I'd recommend first removing the glovebox ( undo lower edge hinges from dash) to gain access to the dashboard inner and also allow you to shine a torch to the back of the central console so you can start tracing the wire back and see how things are put together