Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

i have a 1996 318 automatic and it wont start. when i turn

i have a 1996 318 automatic and it wont start. when i turn the key to the crank position nothing happens. no clicking, no dimming of lights ect (new battery fitted a month ago). but when i took the handbrake off and took it out of park, the car rolled back a foot and then cranked over and started, it continued to start a few times but has now stopped again. could it be the gear selector switch??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a Sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the answer to your question "could it be the gear selector switch?? " is that yes, it could be the transmission position switch

this is not the only thing it could be, however.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.