Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have had a BMW 740i saloon auto from new. Reg 20/08/1994.

Customer Question

I have had a BMW 740i saloon auto from new. Reg 20/08/1994. It has been regularly serviced from new by the same BMW dealer. About 4 years ago it developed a fault which my dealer has been unable to simulate or cure. From time to time it is impossible to start. Nothing happens when the ignition is switched on even when I go though the motion of pressing the remote control to deactivate the immobilizing device. So far, when the car is left for 1/2 hour or so, the fault mysteriously cures itself and the engine starts first time when the ignition is switched on. On one occasion the car had been serviced by my dealer and was being returned to me; the driver stopped the car on my drive but when trying to park it for me found he couldn't start it again until the car had been left for a while when it started perfectly normally - but when the car was taken back to the workshop and put under test for a week or so the dealer was unable to simulate the fault. Your suggestions to what the fault might be would be appreciated
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
hello,
can you please clarify what your question is? are you simply seeking a list of possible causes?