Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have 2005 BMW E60 5 series. The entertainment/nav system

I have 2005 BMW E60 5 series. The entertainment/nav system will not boot up most of the time. The screen comes up with the BMW logo, you can hear the CD/Nav DVD whirring, but then everything goes blank again. Every few minutes it keeps trying again. The weird thing is, that it is more successful at booting up in cold temperatures. First thing on recent mornings. As soon as the car warms up, it won't start. I have checked the control unit in the boot, it is dry with no signs of water ingress. Any ideas of what to check or who to go to for checking out? (except main dealer)
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this can be caused by many things

the main computer that runs the system is one, water in the boot is one, but also any of the control modules in the system (Bluetooth, radio, etc) can also cause it and take the system offline, causing the symptoms you have

one thing you can try is unhooking the battery for an hour to preform a hard reset, but more than likely you have a failed module somewhere in the system

unfortunately specialized equipment is required to diagnose this system, and when components are replaced, they require special programming. there really isn't anything that can be done at home besides checking for water in the boot, per the system's design. You dont need a main dealer, but definitelly a BMW specialist with the equipment for this type of testing. Unfortuanately I cannot make a local recommendation.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Steve.

If it is a failed module, why would it start intermittently?

Mitul