Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hello! I have a 2007 335d, it had a rattling from underneath

Hello! I have a 2007 335d, it had a rattling from underneath at idle, no noise above 1500 - 2000 rpm, which had got progressively louder over the last week or so - sounded like a bit of heatshield or something was loose, got the car up in the air and looked underneath, nothing obviously loose but the noise seemed to come from the back of engine, front of gearbox sort of area, drove it (whoops!) to the bm garage booked an appointment, on the way back it got considerably worse fast, sounding quite agricultural, so i stopped the engine. It now will not start - not trying to crank even, (although there is 3 or 4 seconds of a dull whirling) is this a saftey feature to stop me doing anymore damage, or part of the problem?! thanks in advance Bill
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the answer to your question is that there is no safety feature, this is part of the problem

the vehicle should not be driven or attempted to be started/driven in this condition.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any idea what the problem may be?! cheers again..

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

it is very difficult to diagnose a noise that one cannot hear.

the most common thing that would cause the car to die out like this would be a failure of fuel delivery of some kind (pump, injectors, etc)'

ultimetly proper hands on testing will be required to verify, as I cannot do so if not at the car

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i will give a good rating honest! The car didn't die on me however, i stopped it cos as an engineer myself my mechanical sympathy gene kicked in! It would then not try to start even (i've never had starting issues before), regarding the noise - the rattle turned into a more severe scraping at the time! I'm pretty sure it's not a fueling issue, are all the starter teeth sitting at the bottom of the bell housing?!?! Thanks again, and i understand how difficult diagnosis via the net is! Regards Bill.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
It would be very uncommon for the starter teeth to shear off. If you have a grinding or scraping noise it is likely something internal to the engine or transmission. Unfortunately speculating without hearing the noise or being hands on is very difficult as nothing like this is remotely common
Please do not forget select a positive rating, thank you$
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert