Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My car steering has gone hard and stiff. I was told it could

My car steering has gone hard and stiff. I was told it could be worn track end rods
What could be the issue causing the problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Many things besides worn trackrods ends - if the track rods ends are worn they dont usually cause the steering to become stiff to operate..if they wear out then they cause alot of play/loose feel/knocking from the steering - very rarely do they actually sieze and cause that but worth checking anyway...the most likely is a fault with the hydraulic side of the steering - first off have you checked the power steering fluid - if not then that should be checked to ensure there is enough fluid,normally you hear the PS pump rattling away due to the low fluid,so certainly check that first.. - the next check if the fluid has gone down is to refill and check for leaks especially so around the reservior - the pipe work leading the power steering pump and check for leaks on that - check the auxillary belt is still intact to operate the power steering pump - follow the feed line from the pump to the steering rack and check for leaks at that around the rubber gaiters where your inner tie rods enter the steering rack itself...Like i say if the steering itself is stiff to operate then normally worn track ends dont cause that...I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate