Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi, We have a 56 plate E83 that has sat nav. Unfortunately

Customer Question

We have a 56 plate E83 that has sat nav. Unfortunately the screen does display. It flips up and has sound but no picture. We know the screen and the radio as we swapped it into another X3 to test whether the radio or the screen were faulty. We have also replaced the fuses and disconnected the battery for a couple of hours.... No joy! We also checked the 'box' for the radio that is located behind the rear seats. Appears to be working fully!
Help!!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what "box" exactly did you check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,it's the 'radio' as bmw refer to it. Located on the driver's side storage bin behind the rear seats.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the most likely cause is a failure of the navigation computer - the unit which generates the picture. the screen in the dash is just a dumb monitor like a computer monitor, the picture is generated at the nav computer and this is the likely failure.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.