Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, My BMW MINI ONE 1.6 PETROL 57 REG, HAS BEEN DIAGNOSEDWITH

My BMW MINI ONE 1.6 PETROL 57 REG, HAS BEEN DIAGNOSEDWITH A STEERING FAULT CODE CCID 186 WHICH BRINGS A WARNING LIGHT ON MY DASH PLEASE COULD YOU IDENTIFY THE FAULT BECAUSE EVERTHING SEEMS TO DRIVE AND WORK OK,SHOULD I BE CONCERNED AS THIS MIGHT BE A SAFETY ISSUE
REGARDS
MR, P. GRAINGER.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi...

Hopefully i can help..

(CC-ID 186) - Is your electronic steering lock fault code - normally you get a red steering wheel/lock warning on the instrument panel...I note you do say you have had it already inspected - and i do agree sadly this does indeed require a new steering column...the problem in itself is to do with the electronic side of the steering lock which in turn can either lock like it should do once the car has been switch off in turn then can fail to release after which and or resulting in prevent the car from starting...The column is the only way forward to remedy that problem..maybe try getting quotes from independant specialist in BMW and see if the costs can be brought down a little...as far a safety concern i havent actually heard of the steering lock suddenly coming in during normal driving..normally it will only lock once the cars been switched off after which will eventually just not release at all...I do hope this helps