Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi for xmas I received an x5 diesel 2007. I used it Xmas morning

Hi for xmas I received an x5 diesel 2007. I used it Xmas morning to go visiting, it wouldn't start when I wanted to go home. Got it started with jump pack and left it running for some time approx. 40mins. Ive used it everyday and no problems until last night. Id used it all day parked up when got home when I got out I noticed I was sticking out too much so went to move it battery dead again so much that I had to manually lock it. I googled "problem with x5 battery" and saw I wasn't on my own. How can I sort this? Im a women with child and Im worried I could be somewhere and it happens again and Im stranded Please Help!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Llo
Can you please clarify what question you would like answered? It is not clear what you mean by "how can I get this sorted" - do you have electrical test equipment? Mechanical knowledge/training?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No knowledge I was hoping there was an easy explanation to my battery draining so randomly. When I search internet there were so many questions just like mine all to do with X5 I had hoped as it was so common you may have had answer. Ive had a new battery fitted today so I will just have to wait and see if it happens again. I am able to get it tested as my other half has a mechanics workshop on his site

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

there are several common things that can cause a battery to go flat like this. There is no way to point to one of them simply based on what you've described.

the most likely is simply that the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. FYI, when the battery is replaced on this model, then the computer needs to be updated using a BMW programming computer so that the new battery is charged and monitored correctly. If you have had a new battery fitted and not had this computer update preformed, you could run into additional issues as a result.

the next is a faulty alternator which is not properly charing the battery while the engine is running.

finally, if the battery is good and being charged properly, then a parasitic draw can drain the battery while the vehicle is parked. there is specialized testing which can be carried out to identify the cause of the drain, as it can be ANY electrical component on the car.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.