Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a Y Reg BMW 5 Series. There is a panel which shows which

I have a Y Reg BMW 5 Series. There is a panel which shows which gear the care is in and is light at night but goes out when the engine is turned off. The P park light is staying on when the engine is off. Is this serious?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
are you referring to the panel in the instrument cluster or on the console by the shifter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
hi, I didnt ask a yes or no question. can you please read my question and reply to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - on the console by the shifter.

Sorry, I'm 76 in a month or so and concentartion is one thing that suffers!

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

on some vehicles this light can stay on with no ill effects, but typically it indicates that the car is not properly entering "sleep mode"

sleep mode is when the car is off and all systems have fully shut down (about 20min after turning it off, locking it and leaving it) and battery power is conserved.

for the car to not enter sleep mode, this is usually cauased by a failed electrical component somehwere on the vehicle.

over time, this can cause the battery to drain

I would suggest that you have a current draw test preformed to identify the amount of draw, and if it is significant, further testing carried out to identify the culprit.

if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.