Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2008 BMW 520d. I have been getting a strange electrical

I have a 2008 BMW 520d.
I have been getting a strange electrical / electronic problem which presents itself by a clicking / sparking sort of sound which seems to come from the speakers and tends to last a few seconds at a time. When this happens it has the effect of stopping the satnav, radio and Bluetooth working.
It started a few months ago but in the past day or so has become so frequent that it is really annoying. All other aspect of the cars electronics appear unaffected.
At first I though it may be some sort of static build up that, when sporadically 'discharged' created some sort of electrical surge which disabled these components. I also noticed that the small LED on the emergency recovery / call service button on the roof next to the windscreen also illuminates when this 'sparking / clicking' is at its worst.
Are you able to shed any light on what might be going on and how to sort it?
Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
Colin
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this is a fault with one of the components on the idrive communicatoin network, which is taking the entire system offline. this is not uncommon, but can have several causes.

this can be an internal fault in the main head unit / computer, or a faulty in one other component such as the bluetooth/phone module, the amplifier, the power supply module, etc.

unfortunately due to this system's complex and prioretary design, specialized test equipment is required to diagnose the system - this unfortunately means a trip to the main dealer or properly equipped garage that can carry out this type of testing. Additionally, when a component is replaced in this system, the system needs to be reprogrammed - again with the specialized BMW equipment (BMW unfortunately keeps customers on the hook for proprietary diagnostics and repairs in this manner)

the most common cause is the bluetooth module, but this is not to the exclusion of other causes.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I was hoping it may be something simpler. While we have not specifically identified the root of the problem it is now clear I am going to have to take it to a dealer to try and sort.

Have you any idea how much I should expect to pay for the privilege?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

the dealer will likely charge 1 hour of labour or a set diagnostic charge.

all charge different rates, but I would estimate £100-200 for an initial diagnosis, then whatever has failed will dictate the repair cost.

Best case it could be a loose connectoin or software problem. Worst case probably another £1000-1500