Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a v reg bmw318i having erratic problem when starting

Hi I have a v reg bmw318i having erratic problem when starting as ignition lights on dash don't always come on when turning ignition key, sometimes not always I have to switch on and off a few times before the dash lights come on and then I can start the engine, is it the barrel or the unit inside the steering wheel?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
It is most likely the ignition switch inside the steering column but I would consider replacing the barrel at the same time for peace of mind as it is not expensive.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if I change the barrel will I have to change keys and is expensive?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating. Thank you.
You don't have to change keys. You order it from a main dealer and they get one that fits your key based on your vin.
It is not expensive as I stated.