Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I left my bmw 320i 2005 abandoned on the motorway last night

I left my bmw 320i 2005 abandoned on the motorway last night as it will not go in gear ,when I turned off the ignition the clutch felt very loose when it was pressed I have got the m sport would this be clutch cable please can you help.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Hopefully i can help..

At that year 2005 they wont generally use clutch cables..but clutch hydraulic cylinders..you have 2 one master clutch cylinder the clutch pedal actuates to send fluid down the the other slave cylinder at the gearbox to release the clutch..you'll need to make inspections to both clyinders to see which one has currently gone faulty or leaking fluid which is the same fluid the brakes use..

.from what you describe i certainly make checks up in the pedal box where you clutch pedal is and check the master cylinder ..normally if the pedal is loose as you say..then the pressure has been lost hence why there is no clutch pedal nor can you get it into gear...so above that the checks that have to be made to see which cylinder is at fault..i do hope this helps