Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2002 '52' BMW 530d SE with 147k and it won't rev over

Customer Question

I have a 2002 '52' BMW 530d SE with 147k and it won't rev over 3,000rpm.
It also has a lot of oil pooling in the injector rail and lots of oil has sprayed around the engine bay (mainly the drivers side).
Another thing I've noticed is that there is runs of oil dripping down the cat.
It fires up and idles beautifully and drives fine, but it is like hitting the brakes at 3,000rpm.
There is a little white smoke that appears from the back end when driving, but only once it is warmed up.
I have had it plugged into a code reader and there is nothing stored.
Any suggestions where to start please.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a Sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.

I would start by looking possible plugged cat or a failed turbo.

a live diagnostic (not just a fault scan) should be able to reveal more information about what is going on (this type of diagnostic can read out all inputs and outputs from the engine management system in real time)

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.