Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

driving in town and engine management light came on and would

driving in town and engine management light came on and would not produce max power,,,,took it to where i purchased it and they said it was prob dirty fuel,,,it cleared when i switched off n started again,,im worried im just being fobbed off,,do you think its more serious?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What's faults are logged in the cars computer fault memory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

don,t know how to get into that,,,,not had car long n still trying to work all the stuff out

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
There are close to 200 things that can triggger the engine management light.
The only way to get any kind of information about why the light is on, is to have the computer read. This is the first step ALWAYS when this warning light Is on
Are you telling me this was not done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry yeh it was ,,,fuel problem they said,,,probably injecter blocked

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.

this being caused by bad fuel is very unlikely but possible.

however, if the warning is off and has not come back, then this means that the issue is no longer present. So, as long as it stays off after the cleaning, there is nothing to worry about.

there is really no way to know if this was the actual cause and/or correct fix unless the same fault comes back in a short period of time. as the light is currently off and staying off, it does appear that it was the correct fix, but more time needs to elapse to make a final judgement - I simply cannot know the answer with certainty, but it is unlikely.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.