Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My timing chain is being replaced on my bmw 116i 2011 model. Bmw

My timing chain is being replaced on my bmw 116i 2011 model.
Bmw are repairing under good will but I have to pay towards labour cost. I notice that this is a common problem. Once new chain in does this solve the problem or is it likely to happen again.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.
A new chain will definitely solve the problem now, but it won't prevent it from happening again.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying this is a design fault then
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating, thank you
I wouldn't say it is necessarily a fault, because it isn't like 99% of engines have this happen, but simply replacing the chain does not change the existing design or what can happen in certain cases