Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

After changing the car battery on my 1996 BMW 3 Series I now

After changing the car battery on my 1996 BMW 3 Series I now need assistance with re-coding the radio/cd player. Unfortunately with the help of a garage mechanic friend I now believe that after many attempts to put in a code number that we found 'rubber stamped' onto a label all I get now permanently displayed when I turn it on is CODE WAIT. (prior to this it was CODE & 4 dashes - - - -) Bearing the above in mind can you please:- 1. Advise me how we can revert it back to the 4 dashes & then- 2. How do we find the correct code & with that information how we then proceed to remedy the situation. Please find below all the info found on a label(s) adhered to the radio in the hope that it will assist you in this respect. BMW Business cd 6512 6 909 885 BP 0273 1(###) ###-####FD361 INDEX 44 CE 7 640 273 643 Also separately on this label is what we thought was the radio code in a bold rubber stamp type is 3801 There is also a separate 'bar code' label adhered. Printed on it is a line of numbers that's already given above but with 4 additional numbers at the end that I now suspect are the code numbers we need!! Along the bottom of the bar code it's BP0273199536236653. Your assistance in this respect will be very much appreciated. John B ps. radio 'made in portugal'

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What brand is the radio unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve. Apologies delay in getting back to you.

It's a BMW BUSINESS CD (Made in Portugal is printed onto one of the small labels attached)

Hope this helps. (I cant believe how much I miss the radio particularly in the mornings!!)

John B

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
there is no way to confirm the actual radio code model, this is BMW internal information only.
I can inform you how to put the radio back to "code" from "code wait" if that will be sufficient to satisfy your query
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes please advise how to put it back to code - - - -(presumably with the 4 dashes to enter the code number when it is hopefully discovered!!) I will of course obviously need the code number so can you also please advise me how to proceed now.

John B

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.

in order to revert the CODE WAIT to CODE, you will need to do the following

hook up the car to a battery charger and then turn the ignition on and leave the radio on -120 minutes. During this time, it will reset to CODE. The battery charger is required or the battery will die.

in order to get the correct code to enter, you can try the numbers on the radio that you believe might be the code, or failing that, you will have to contact a BMW main dealer or BMW head office customer service in retrieving the code from their systems.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I shall give that a go asap. Should I forget to rate you in the next day or so please feel free to remind me & I'm confident it will be a positive rating either way it goes. Thank you assistance in this respect.

John B

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

,

as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.

if you would like in the future, you can do so without further charge after leaving the positive rating

thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve

Just to let you know that the procedure you gave me worked & I was consequently able to re-activate my radio by putting in the 4 additional numbers I discovered at the end of the bar code. Hooray-I can fully appreciate the in car entertainment once again!!

Thanks for your help in this respect

John B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve. Yes I have already given you a Good Service rating & no thank you to further help at this time.
Best wishes

John B