Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I own a 2010 bmw 520d se and my idrive center console has

I own a 2010 bmw 520d se and my idrive center console has stopped working. I had just been using my phone through bluetooth. The screen has went black. there is also a faint "whirring" sound possibly from the cd drive, even though the car is switched off and has been off 15 mins.
Any advice appreciated
thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.

I would suggest you unhook the car battery hour to reset the system and also check fuses.

if the issue persists, this indicates that one of the computer modules in the idrive system has likely failed and taken the system offline. commonly it is the phone/bluetooh module but can be any of several in the system. This requires specialized diagnostics to properly diagnose..

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve

disconnecting the battery hour didn't work. The fuses are in the driver side of the boot. Which fuse should I check.

thanks

Colm

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Lease do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating, thank you.
You should check any and all fuses related to any audio, communication or navigation equipment, as specified by your fuse card. If you do not wish to go through your fuses card, then invest the 5min to check all fuses.
As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to advise, I ended up taking car to a local garage who advised that there were 2 sets of fuses. They checked them all and none were blown. I am now taking my car to a BMW garage and repair.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

this is consistent with the guidance I provided.

as the question - "Any advice appreciated" - has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit time and answer. thank you in advance.