Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I hanged the oil &filter yesterday slightly over filled when

Customer Question

I hanged the oil &filter yesterday slightly over filled when I started up it shows to much oil,on the on board computer drain. Some of dip stick shows ok but computer I show way over mximum
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

,

what exactly is your question about this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will the on board computer correct it self or do you need the computer re set it by a garage I very checked again the dipstick is on the correct level

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me honest and that I receive nothing time until a positive rating is clicked.

the sensor does not need to be reset

if the oil level is correct but the sensor is saying it is over filled, I would suspect that the sensor got stuck in a high position after the over fill. It may need to be replaced or manually moved back to the low end position. This could happen on its own over time if it shakes loose, but I wouldn't count on it.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.