Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My engine seized up on Monday. Garage had fixed an oil leak

My engine seized up on Monday. Garage had fixed an oil leak 2 months earlier. Garage rang me later on the Monday and said there was no oil in the car which caused the seizure. I checked dipstick only a week ago and there was oil, also the oil level on the dash computer reported oil was full, and I could see no leaks. I also told the mechanic there was no oil warning light (which there was before I had the oil leak fixed 2 months ago) so this cannot be possible.
The following day the mechanic changed his tune and said it was not caused by lack of oil but caused because the timing belt was loose and slipped which caused the engine damage. Is this possible, as I thought the timing belt would have to snap to cause engine damage. and is it possible that the oil sensor was not fixed back, and would this cause false readings from the dash computer or no warning at all? Im thinking of suing the garage as they said initially that there was no oil in the car, and as soon as I said there was no warning light he changed and said it was the timing belt. I have a feeling he didnt fit back the oil sensor after fixing the oil leak 2 months ago. Your help would be greatly appreciated as I've already given this garage over £1200 two months ago to fix the oil leak and install new intake manifold.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

hell

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this car has a timing chain, not a timing belt, and issues with the timing chain are fairly rare. however, it should be easily confirmable with some engine tear down - either the chain slipped/broke and caused easily identifyable damage, or it didnt.

normally if the sensor is installed correctly and working correctly, you would get a warning if the oil got low.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer. I would also like to know If the oil sensor was not fit back properly what effect would this have on the dash computer? Would it fail to alert me if oil was low? Also would low oil cause the same engine damage as a slipped/broken timing chain?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating. thank you

if the oil sensor is not working properly or not installed properly, then you might not get a dash warning for low oil. it will not have any other effect on the dash computer other than possibly not signaling correctly

low oil and a broken timing chain cause different damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your interesting reply. I saw the engine today and the technician said the engine damage was done on the top where the followers are (dont know what that means) and that the camshaft hit the metal of the sump and there was lots of broken bits. He said he had to now check the bottom of the engine to see where the problem originated from. From this information would you say this damage was caused by timing chain or lack of oil?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I would say timing chain issue but I can't be positive based on what you've stated

as the original question has been answerd, please kindly select a positive rating, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again but apologies I still need to be clear, you say oil and timing chain cause different damage. What would those differences be?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if you had no oil the engine would roast and score and sieze and show signs of lack of lubrication

if the timing chain broke, there would be a broken chain for one, then benlt valves and damage to the top end

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert