Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I bought an 07plate X3 in March last year. The engine management

I bought an 07plate X3 in March last year. The engine management light comes on intermittently. The dealer insists it needs regenerating because he says "modern diesels are all the same". I've asked 127 diesel owners to date and NONE of them have an engine management light on!! Can you advise please?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what your question is?
Is it if all diesels need to regenerate?
Is it what the engine light means?
Is it something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for being vague!

Is it normal for an engine management light to be on ?

Dealer says it is normal in all modern (07 and newer) diesels due to them requiring regeneration.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

therea are several hundred things that can trigger the engine light. any problem with the engine or emissions control system which causes a potential adverse effect on emissions will trigger this light.

under normal circumstances, the light should not be on. If there is a fault present with the engine or emissions control system, the light should be on.

Yes new diesels have a regeneration requirement and if you dont drive in a manner which allows them to regenerate, it can lead to a situation where the enigne light comes on. As I do not know exactly what faults are being logged in your vehilces computer, I cannot say with 100% certainty that regernation is the cause of your engine light (remember, there are hundreds of things that can trigger this light) but certainly what the dealer is telling you makes sense.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.