Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

the rear wheels on my e46 locked up there was knocking from

the rear wheels on my e46 locked up there was knocking from rear and when i turned off ignition i restarted car and i was able to drive the mile home

Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

How do you mean locked up - just one wheel or both / during driving or just when setting off from cold?

Aswell as the knocking - Any burning smells or lack of power driving etc?

Has there been work done recently on the car in that area/wheels etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i think it was both no burning smell or lack of power and hapened while driving

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

On the e46 there isnt any that would fix itself by turning the engine off and back on as the rear axle is totally mechanical..Its very rare for that to happen on both wheels without somesort of prior noise issue..if say the differential is your problem there..normally if one of the brakes/shoes on the back sieze or jam can give that effect of a wheel locking up..or slowing the car down..burning smell would very obvious from the back like a brake smell...if both wheels jammed up id say its probable the differential as that transmits the power from the gearbox/prop shaft to out to both wheels..aswell as that too check on the brakes on the back for any of them sticking in the on position and not fully freeing up..they can of course check the oil in the diff - check for obvious leaks around it to see if oil loss is factor in that..there isnt really much else that would cause that on the back suddenly bar those to areas to be honest...I do hope this helps...if you require to ask anything further then please do before you rate