Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have an E39 1997 5 Series Saloon Auto, the ABS and ASC light

I have an E39 1997 5 Series Saloon Auto, the ABS and ASC light are on, after changing the sensors, on all 4 wheels twice ! the lights are still on and the speedo is not working ! I have also noticed that in automatic the change up does not occur until I reach the red zone on the rev counter, but in semi manual mode the car will drive through the gears normally. Have you any ideas as to what the problem could be ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your BMW.

I have seen this many times. The sensors did need to be replaced but sometimes when the sensors fail it also damages the ABS control unit. The fix is going to be to replace the ABS control unit or have it repaired. There are some shops online that you can send out the ABS unit and they will do a repair on it for you to fix this problem.

This is an example of such a website.

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

I hope this information is helpful. I have replaced many ABS modules for this exact problem. Please remember to provide positive feedback as this is the only way I receive credit for helping.

Best regards,

Roger