Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

when inserting the key and in the starting process a message

when inserting the key and in the starting process a message comes up high battery discharge this only seems to happen when starting cold 5 series 2lt. diesel 59 reg.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what diagnostics have been carried out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no work on car done just want a answer so to know what the problem could be

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

The issue could be a simple defective battery or alternator, or it could be a failed electronic component draining the battery when the car is off, or a simple problem with the battery sensor.

The one other thing that can sometimes cause this is if you talk only short trips and the battery does not get a chance to recharge properly - the oly solution for that cause is a change in habbits or using a trickle charger at night.

To verify, you will need to have the battery and altenrator tested, the computer fault logs read from the car, and a possibly current draw or power diagnosis carried out to identify any source of any overnight drain.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.