Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have 2002 five series with auto transmission. Light on dash

Customer Question

Have 2002 five series with auto transmission. Light on dash indicating transmission problem comes on and car goes into Limp Home mode. If I stop and turn off ignition and leave for a few minutes, when switched back on every seems fine until I travel a short distance and accelerate then it happens again. Whilst car was in normal mode, as even then it was running 'lumpy' I settled speed at 60 mph then put into cruise control. Instead of running smoothly at that speed, it accelerated to about 70, then suddenly dropped back then accelerated again, it would nor run at constant speed even when in cruise control. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what diagnostics have been carried out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Car has been on diagnostic machine and first time indicated EGR valve problem.. This was cleaned but problem reoccurred.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
If the car is going into limp mode, there should be a transmission fault present. Have you not had the transmission codes read with a bmw scan tool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve. Thanks for your response. I have had car on diagnostic m/c twice, but according to the garage the results not conclusive. They thought might have been old and degraded oil and possibly bad filtering. They cleaned and replaced filter and flushed, three times, the box which cost me £636 due to the cost of fluid. That worked for about a week, then it went again and they decided to clean out EGR valve. Ran alright for about another week but problem reoccurred. If I drive car very steadily, no forceful or normal acceleration, it seems okay, although still runs 'lumpy' with revs fluctuating of own accord. If I accelerate, say away from lights or a junction as you would normally do, the light comes on and 'limp mode' initiates. If I stop, turn off ignition for say 5 mins and start again, it is okay and no light or limp mode.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what codes are being read out when the transmsission is being diagnosed?

to be clear, it is transmission limp mode?