Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 05..330d an my boot lid keeps opening by its self.if

I have a 05..330d an my boot lid keeps opening by its self.if close it by hand an drive off get to a junction stop an take off dashboard flashes open boot
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
does it actually open or just give a warning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It opens.if the car is sitting parked an i close the boot after a few seconds you can hear the boot clicking away it opens itself

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

most likely this is a simple faulty boot lid lock (or possibly faulty boot release button or wiring short) - the offending part will simply need to be replaced.

one thing you can try as a temporary fix would be to secure the boot seperately:

for E46 sytle 3 series: turn the key in the boot lit 90 degrees clockwise then remove the key with the keyhole in the horizontal position

for E90 style 3 series: flip the switch in the glove box to permanently lock the boot

here are pictures to help you identify which style you have:

e90: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/BMW_3er_%28E90%29_Facelift_20090720_front.JPG

e46: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/BMW_3er_%28E46,_1998%E2%80%932001%29_front_MJ.JPG

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.