Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 530d 2003 model. The i drive screen has gone blank

I have a BMW 530d 2003 model. The i drive screen has gone blank and been that way for a few weeks. I am told that replacement is quite expensive. Do the drives go or can they be reset?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Usually this is caused by component failure in the idrive system. Sometimes the main drive, sometimes the power supply module, sometimes another module (eg: phone/bluetooth, etc)
You can try resetting the system by unhooking the car battery for an hour, and you can also check ALL fuses if you have not, but more than likely you will require some kind of parts replacement to rectify this.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Steve

Do independent garages fix this problem or is it best to go to a main dealer? Also what in your opinion is the worst case scenario in terms of cost. I have to weigh up what the car is worth against this cost given the age of the car.

Chris

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Worst case would be around £2000.

You need to use a main dealer or bmw specialist for this, a general garage can't resolve this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

BMW specialist has told me that they can take out the unit and have it reconditioned, total cost £300 to £400.

Does that sound a possible option?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

if they have diagnosed the proper failure, and can source a proper reconditioning shop, then yes.

you asked for worst case, and this is around £2000 as I stated.

as the original question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.