Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 318d 2009. Every time I shift into first gear it pops

I have a 318d 2009. Every time I shift into first gear it pops out of gear. It is like a load bang. I have no problems with any of the other gears. Please can you assist?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I assume this is a manual transmission?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

can you please clarify what type of assistance you are seeking? do you want to know the cause? the fix? something else?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please can you outline possible causes, most importantly I need advice on how to resolve the problem
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this is normally caused by a bad gearbox syncro

unfortunately this requires the gearbox be opened for repair, which is labour intensive and is the only resolution.

please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.