Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

All Please help BMW E90 2007 se auto with 95000 miles Issues PDF

Customer Question

Hi All
Please help BMW E90 2007 se auto with 95000 miles
PDF light on display and showing red warning light for exhaust on OBC. No other warning lights
Have been driving car with warning lights showing yellow for about year no concerns so just ignored warning as I thought it was minor fault.
However, while stationary at traffic lights, I saw through wing mirror a sudden gust of white smoke from exhaust this concerned me as I have never seen this previously.
I continued to drive when suddenly had loss of power and car went into limp mode and eventually stalled and struggled to re-start.
I called out breakdown recovery who promptly plugged in his scanner and stated that the PDF was blocked and reeved the engine to listen for noise from the bay I presume he stated that he felt there was turbo wear.
But having spoke to various so called PDF experts I have had answers for solving problem from air flow metre, oil quality, glow plug, vanos to regeneration, deletion, to replacement.
Once great car now no longer safe to drive have heard and read some horror what are the facts and what do I need to do to resolve the problem starting form the cheapest option first,
Sorry for the lengthy question, I trust it all makes sense
However, I do look forward to your professional response.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and co-operation.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what exactly has been done so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in a word nothig

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why no reply to my response

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took my payment yet no response to my question

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

by pdf, do you mean dpf?

also, what faults exactly are stored in the car's computer fault memory?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had already explained this in my first text just the Diesel Particular Filter was on showing on scanner according to the breakdown recovery man.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

that is not a fault code.

what fault code is stored in the car's memory? do you not know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cant comment on that as I did not see the code it was told to me by the mechanic

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

most likely you need to have your DPF replaced.

you could try a regeneration, but since it has been run with the warning light on so long, I would just have it replaced.

there is no warning light that is safe to ignore.

please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.