Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an e46 320i touring, 2004 with 100,000 on the clock.

Customer Question

I have an e46 320i touring, 2004 with 100,000 on the clock. I have an issue with blue smoke whilst sat in traffic. It only occurs when the engine is warm, never when cold. After starting the car, it runs super, but after 15 mins of town driving the smoke appears and the engine starts to run poorly. I recently had the oil separator and associated hoses replaced. The car isn't using a great deal of oil, but I do have top up a little every 300-400 miles. The blue smoke is gone on acceleration, and gets a whole lot worse the longer I am in traffic.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

these symptoms suggest leaking valve seals.

you will need to have the seals replaced to correct the issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.