Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2006 bmw x3. Airbag light on. Can not communicate with steering

2006 bmw x3. Airbag light on. Can not communicate with steering wheel airbag. Have replaced airbag with salvaged and factory new airbag.
Airbag light still on.
One friend says it could be the clock spring but all the buttons on the steering wheel work still.
Another friend thinks its the Airbag Control Unit under the arm rest.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello

what is your question about this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you believe could be causing the airbag light?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.It is impossible to answer this question with certainty.I think it is most likely to be the clock spring, but it is possible that it could be the main srs module, although it would be uncommon for that module to fail in just this way.it could also be wiring/connection anywhere between the airbag/clock spring and the module.Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How would you reccomend testing to see which one is bad?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

I would consider running replacment wiring temporarily from the module to the airbag and see if anything changes, the try to localize from there.