Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Battery flat on 1997 840 - doors and boot wont open with key

Battery flat on 1997 840 - doors and boot wont open with key - is there an emergency way to open either door or bootlid so that i can charge battery ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What exactly have you tried with the key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay - had to go out.

Have tried unlocking drivers door with key but doesnt unlock - tried to unlock boot also with key but again no luck.

Dont have an owners manual but was wondering if there was an emergency procedure to open door in the event of battery failure ?

Due to the time I'm quite happy if you reply tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my answer all right ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve
Are you still out there ?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a Saturday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

they key should still work despite the battery being flat

either you need to turn it as far as possible, past a resistance point, or, you need to pull up on the door handle and hold it up while turning the key as far as possible, per this image: https://app.box.com/s/zf0bsue5c1iwnevaocn2023smkz7s131 or per this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQt4GowLGI

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.