Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Bmw 840 Sports Coupe. 1998 45k.

Bmw 840 Sports Coupe. 1998 45k. I have owned this car since 2003 and you have assisted me before. Recently it suddenly ran very rough and cut out at traffic lights. I managed to get it started again but very rough and cut out the minute I took my foot off the throttle. After several goes it suddenly went back to normal and seemed ok when I drove it home. It has done it again today on the motorway. Suddenly dying and as it was still moving would fire up again. It did this several times.I cut my journey shirt and decided to return home. It cut out as I would slow down for a roundabout . Managed to get it home but now it is making an awful noise. Seems to be a form of intermittent petrol starvation. Concerned that I may have damaged engine. Digbŷ XXXX

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi,

what question specifically would you like answered about this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you think is the problem?. .I would like to go to the garage with some knowledge of what might be the problem.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

your symptoms suggest a lack of fuel, so either a failing fuel pump, bad filter / pressure regulator, or some other clog

a failed crank sensor might also cause similar symptoms

ultimately hands on checks of fuel pressure will need to be made to verify.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle