Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a BMW 318i ES 2006. Just had a new clutch fitted, new

Customer Question

I have a BMW 318i ES 2006. Just had a new clutch fitted, new fly wheel plus slave. Not at BMW main dealership. They have replaced clutch in past without problem. Clutch pedal is very stiff and heavy. Driving in traffic, when your in and out of first gear is really bad...left leg feels dead after a driving for even half an hour. Please help!!

I NEED ANSWER SOON! I aim to speak to garage Saturday 16th May, they close at 12.30 am. They have taken £900 of my money already.CAN NOT AFFORD TO GO TO BMW, they will want to replace clutch...they will charge £1300 plus!!

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello

what kind of help is it that you are seeking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

Technical.

What might be the problem with the clutch to make it so heavy that it is becoming impossible to drive the car safely? Is there something the garage has not done, or should do to remedy the problem?

John

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve

I have given up waiting for a reply!

I think I may know the answer to the problem. I believe the clutch was not fitted correctly, and that the locking plate was attached at the wrong stage in the assembly procedure which locked the clutch from self-adjusting.

Sorry, but I would like a refund please!

John